Sons of God - Are the faithful followers of God, not Angels
Many religions believe that the reference to the Sons of God in Genesis refers to sinning angels.
These are the verses they believe support this concept:
- Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
- Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
- Job 1:6 ...there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
- Job 2:1 ...a day when the sons of God came to present themselves...and Satan came ...to present himself before the LORD.
- Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Sons of God in the bible is actually a term for faithful followers of God and Jesus Christ
- 2 Corinthians 6:17-18 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
- 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
- Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
- 1 John 3:1 ...what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: ... now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be...
- Galatians 3:36 Ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus
- Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke…
- John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe ...
- Hosea 1:10 ...children of Israel...there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.
- Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
- Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
- Galatians 4:5-7 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
So What is Job 1:6 talking about? Since we have proven it is not talking about angels, if we look at Exo 34:23 and Exo 23:14-17, we see that the sons of God appearing before God are the people of God, not angels. Among them was one disgruntled person referred to as "Satan" (the hebrew word means opposer - not a devil or demon) who believed that Job's righteousness was because of all God's blessings, and that if God's blessings stopped, Job would no longer be righteous.
- Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
- Exodus 34:23 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel...
- Exodus 23:14 Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year. 15 Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat unleavened bread seven days, as I commanded thee, in the time appointed of the month Abib; for in it thou camest out from Egypt: and none shall appear before me empty:) 16 And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field. 17 Three times in the year all thy males shall appear before the Lord GOD.